All Ingredients: Corylus Avellana (Hazelnut) Oil
- Incidecoder Rating: Goodie
- EWG Rating: 1 (Best)
- PETA Rating: Cruelty Free & Vegan
- Origin: Cold pressed from hazelnut nuts, sustainably grown in Turkey.
Hazelnut oil is produced from pressing the seeds of corylus avellana, also known as hazel or hazelnuts. Prominently known as a food ingredient, hazelnut possesses high concentrations of fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, squalene, and tocopherols, which are known to improve skin quality.
- Fatty acids play a role in balancing the skin’s protective barrier. They also prevent the loss of moisture from the skin’s surface. These fatty acids prevent any harmful substances from entering the skin.
- Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) prevents and repairs photo-aging. It has antioxidant properties that protect the skin from UV damage. It can also be used to reduce hyperpigmentation. Vitamin C has anti-inflammatory properties and can help treat skin conditions like acne and rosacea. It also promotes wound healing and boosts collagen synthesis.
- Vitamin E contains tocopherols and tocotrienols. It has high antioxidant properties that reduce free radical damage due to solar radiation. It protects the skin from oxidative stress. It helps prevent sunburn. It has therapeutic effects against psoriasis, acne, scleroderma, and atopic dermatitis. It can also promote wound healing. It might reduce the signs of sun damage, including skin thickening, wrinkling, and erythema Tocopherols also have skin-conditioning properties.
- Folic acid improves skin firmness that may otherwise deteriorate due to aging.
- Vitamin A (retinol) is often used in the treatment of acne, psoriasis, and other skin conditions. It also slows down the aging process. It protects the skin barrier functions and collagen, and reduces water loss. It also prevents the discoloration of the skin. It reduces excess sebum production, improves skin elasticity, and boosts collagen synthesis and keratin formation. It reduces the signs of aging and photoaging too. Research shows that vitamin A can reduce fine lines and wrinkles effectively.
- Niacin improves the skin barrier function. It prevents water loss and increases the moisture content in the skin. It improves skin quality and reduces wrinkles. It may help treat skin conditions like acne and rosacea, thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties. It reduces the effects of aging and might also reduce skin discoloration.
- Minerals like zinc and copper offer photoprotective properties and prevent damage from UV radiation. These minerals prevent the radiation from penetrating the skin. They also have antioxidant properties. Copper, additionally, improves skin elasticity and thickness.
When not to use
Hazelnut oil is generally considered safe for consumption and topical application. However, there is not enough research to guarantee its safety. It is advised to avoid hazelnut oil if you have any kind of nut allergy or sensitive skin. Hazelnut contains proteins similar to that of pollen allergens. If you have pollen allergies, hazelnut oil might not suit your skin. Perform a patch test on the back of your neck or under your forearm to ensure no harmful or adverse effects occur.
- Masson, P. et al. Influence of hazelnut oil phospholipids on the skin moisturizing effect of a cosmetic emulsion. International Journal of Cosmetic Science 12, 243–251, 1990.
- Contini, M. et al. Extraction of natural antioxidants from hazelnut (Corylus avellana L.) shell and skin wastes by long maceration at room temperature. Food Chemistry 110.3, 659-669, 2008.
- Madhaven N. Final report on the safety assessment of Corylus Avellana (Hazel) Seed Oil, Corylus Americana (Hazel) Seed Oil, Corylus Avellana (Hazel) Seed Extract, Corylus Americana (Hazel) Seed Extract, Corylus Avellana (Hazel) Leaf Extract, Corylus Americana (Hazel) Leaf Extract, and Corylus Rostrata (Hazel) Leaf Extract. International Journal of Toxicology, 2001.
When to use
At night, before sleeping.
How to apply
Apply 2-3 drops and wait for 3-4 minutes for your skin to absorb. Repeat this until you find excess on your skin. Use a damp cloth to remove the excess.
Frequency of use
If your concern is severe, use every night. Otherwise, use every alternate night.
Safe to use during
- Menstrual pain
- Pregnancy or breastfeeding
Use with other products
Mix 1 drop of every product on your palm, rub your palms, and apply the mixture. Wait for 3-4 minutes for your skin to absorb. Repeat this until you find excess on your skin. Use a damp cloth to remove the excess.
- Keep away from children
- Patch test before use
- For external use only
Consult your doctor
For frequency of use, if you are being treated for
- Dermatitis or eczema
- Third-degree burns
- Skin cancer
Re-use the bottle, or empty the glass bottle and place in the recycling bin.