All Ingredients: Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil
- Incidecoder Rating: Goodie
- EWG Rating: 1 (Best)
- PETA Rating: Cruelty Free & Vegan
- Origin: Cold pressed from grape seeds, sustainably grown in India.
We wholeheartedly support the rise of seedless grapes as fruit snacks, but when it comes to skincare, we are big fans of the seeds.
They contain the majority of the skin goodies that - similar to green tea - are mostly polyphenols (but not the same ones as in tea). The most abundant ones in grape are called proanthocyanidins, and 60-70% of them are found in the seeds (it's also often abbreviated as GSP - grape seed proanthocyanidins). In general, the darker the fruit, the more GSPs and other flavonoids it contains.
So what's so special about GSPs? Well, they are super-potent antioxidants, much stronger than Vitamin C or Vitamin E. And if that's not enough, GSPs and other flavonoids in grape also show UV protecting and anti-cancer properties.
It's definitely a goodie to spot on the INCI list.
- Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, Volume 9 (3) – Sep 1, 2010, Original Contribution: Top 10 botanical ingredients in 2010 anti‐aging creams
- International Journal of Cosmetic Science, Volume 37 (5) – Oct 1, 2015, Polyphenols as active ingredients for cosmetic products
- Leslie Baumann, MD, Cosmetic Dermatology, 2nd edition, Grape Seed Extract - pages 301-302
When to use
At night, before sleeping.
How to apply
Apply 2-3 drops and wait for 3-4 minutes for your skin to absorb. Repeat this until you find excess on your skin. Use a damp cloth to remove the excess.
Frequency of use
If your concern is severe, use every night. Otherwise, use every alternate night.
Safe to use during
- Menstrual pain
- Pregnancy or breastfeeding
Use with other products
Mix 1 drop of every product on your palm, rub your palms, and apply the mixture. Wait for 3-4 minutes for your skin to absorb. Repeat this until you find excess on your skin. Use a damp cloth to remove the excess.
- Keep away from children
- Patch test before use
- For external use only
Consult your doctor
For frequency of use, if you are being treated for
- Dermatitis or eczema
- Third-degree burns
- Skin cancer
Re-use the bottle, or empty the glass bottle and place in the recycling bin.