Continuing our ongoing series by and for loved ones of people with diabetes, the so-called Diabetes Partner Follies, weâ€™re proud to play host today to Suzi, the wife of prolific DOC blogger and fellow journalist Mike Hoskins. Suzi and Mike have been married since 2005. Not only does Suziâ€™s husband have type 1 diabetes, but so does her mother-in-law, Mikeâ€™s mom! Thatâ€™s quite a bit of diabetes in the family! Suzi takes it all in strideâ€¦
A Guest Post by Suzi Hoskins
First, thanks to Amy for the chance to be a guest-poster here at Dâ€™Mine. Itâ€™s an honor to be writing here from the perspective of a D-Wife, though itâ€™s nothing glamorous. Itâ€™s just our life, what we know and do, and I hope that someone can get something out of what is shared here.
Iâ€™m the one â€¦
- Who loves seafood, but found out the hard way that Iâ€™m allergic to it.
- Who is the shortest in my family, but is tall enough so that my feet touch the ground.
- Who loves to garden and play in the mud, but hates to get dirty.
- Who wishes my pets had opposable thumbs, instead of a wagging tail that knocks stuff over, or spending time wandering the house chasing the invisible mouse.
- Who has to watch the Harry Potter marathon on TV, despite the fact that I own all the movies and can watch them whenever I want.
- Who loves sweets, but thinks glucose tabs taste gross. Oh, cupcakes and ice cream rule!
- Who fetches juice boxes, but canâ€™t ever seem to open them in that moment theyâ€™re needed.
- Who calls paramedics if needed, but isnâ€™t afraid to stab the sucker in the leg with a glucagon shot if I can get close enough without taking an elbow to the face.
- Who will threaten to pull his pump site out when he gets on my nerves, but never have. And probably wouldnâ€™t. Because then Iâ€™d have to hear him complain.
- Who loves math, because itâ€™s constant and makes sense.
- Who likes to figure out D-Math, because not everything that says itâ€™s sugar-free is that different than regular food.
- Who doesnâ€™t purposely embarrass herself in public, but still dressed up as a BackStreet Boy for a diabetes camp fundraiser.
- Who knows that while I donâ€™t â€œget itâ€ when it comes to being a Person With Diabetes, Mike doesnâ€™t â€œget itâ€ when it comes to being the spouse of a diabetic. We both learn from each other every day.
So in sum:
Iâ€™m the one who married a man who I love and makes me laugh, and also happens to have type 1 diabetes. And it doesnâ€™t rule my life.
Well said, Suzi! And whatâ€™s that we hear? You like diabetes math?! Are you for hire? Oh pleeeaaaassse.
This content is created for Diabetes Mine, a leading consumer health blog focused on the diabetes community that joined ishonest Media in 2015. The Diabetes Mine team is made up of informed patient advocates who are also trained journalists. We focus on providing content that informs and inspires people affected by diabetes.
Read more on: diabetesmine