Ways You Can Boost The Health of Your Hair With Jojoba Oil

Curated by Claudia Shannon / Research Scientist / ishonest

Below we've listed a few of the ways using jojoba oil for hair can be a transformative step in your haircare routine.

It Can Moisturize Hair From the Inside Out

Egyptian jojoba oil is comprised of 97% monounsaturated fats. The other 3% is made up of acids and natural alcohols. Due to its nutrient-rich structure, jojoba may help to moisturize and condition hair by penetrating its outer cuticle.

By applying the oil before shampooing, you may create a seal that prevents ingredients like sulfates from stripping your hair of its natural oils. If you apply it to damp hair after washing, you may provide substantial moisture to the hair shaft at a time when the hair follicles are at their most permeable. Overall, it's a great option for anyone who has thin hair that often gets weighed down by heavy conditioners.

It Can Maintain Your Scalp's Natural Balance

Science doesn't lie, so when we started investigating jojoba oil, we wanted to break down its molecular composition. The studies and industry experts agree that jojoba oil is almost identical to human sebum. It mimics the oil naturally produced by the sebaceous glands of your skin, making it a reparative ingredient for a compromised moisture barrier. It's fair to say that jojoba may deliver hydration to strands without disrupting your scalp's natural pH balance. Similarly, jojoba oil will not cause your scalp to produce more or less of its own oil, so you can expect it to moisturize hair without leaving it overly greasy.

It Can Control Dandruff

A 2014 study conducted by the African Journal of Traditional, Complementary and Alternative Medicine, sought to prove that stem cells from a parasite plant, known as Cuscuta reflexa, could heal several hair alignments. A patch of C. reflexa removed from a jojoba plant was mixed with mustard oil and was then given to 18 study participants who were asked to apply it to their scalps twice a day for two weeks. When the study ended, the 18 patients who reported having mild to moderate dandruff showed close to a 50% reduction in their flaking. While more research needs to be done on jojoba specifically to confirm whether it possesses enough antimicrobial properties to combat dandruff, it's a great place to start for anyone looking for a natural dandruff solution.

It Can Encourage Hair Growth

As the properties of jojoba oil may help clear the scalp of dandruff and support scalp moisture without disrupting its natural oil creation, there is a chance it can also aid in hair growth. All of the fatty acids and natural alcohols found in jojoba may provide much- needed nutrition to your hair. If you work on strengthening the hair you already have, you can ensure that you are supporting your natural growth cycle.

It Can Repair Damage From Heat and Styling

We can attest to the fact that hair damaged from heat is difficult to work with. Studies have concluded that the heat generated from styling tools like curling irons and blow dryers cause the outer cuticle of the hair to crack. These fractures are the source of split ends and result in hair that is prone to breakage.

Jojoba oil does not penetrate as deeply as other oils, so it will sit on the outer cuticle of each strand and may help fill in the cracks. Furthermore, the oil possesses calming properties that might condition and soften strands, leaving you with a smooth and silky finish. Add a few drops of jojoba to your leave-in moisturizer or heat protectant to combat fluffiness and frizz.

Read more on: jojoba oil, jojoba oil for hair

Leave a comment

All comments are moderated before being published