How do you get rid of acne scars overnight?
There is no magic potion to get radiant, scar-free skin overnight, but there are excellent makeup products that can hide your acne scars. If you want radiant skin, a regular skincare routine is key. This must be coupled with a healthy diet, a good exercise regimen, and stress relief techniques to avoidacne in the first place and eventually achieve clear and healthy skin.
Below are a few common ways to get rid of acne scars. These will take time to work, so you must be regular and diligent in their application. Always do a patch test behind your earlobe to check if you are allergic to any of these ingredients.
- Honey and cinnamon paste have been shown to reduce acne. Apart from being antibacterial, these ingredients reduce inflammation and redness. To prepare this mask, you need to mix two tablespoons of honey and one teaspoon of cinnamon. Apply the paste after cleaning your face. Rinse the mask off after 20 minutes.
- Green tea has antioxidants, flavonoids, and tannins, which can effectively fight against acne-causing bacteria and reduce inflammation. Also, applying green tea to the skin can reduce excessive sebum production and inhibit the growth of acne-causing bacteria. You can use a cotton ball to apply green tea to the affected area. Drinking it regularly can prevent the occurrence of acne.
- Applying aloe vera gel on the acne-affected area and leaving it on overnight can kill off harmful bacteria and reduce inflammation. It can also increase blood flow to your skin and make it glow. Aloe vera gel is known to have wound healing properties.
- A 50: 50 solution of apple cider vinegar and water has strong antibacterial properties that help get rid of acne. It contains organic acids like succinic acids that kill acne-causing bacteria (Cutibacterium acnes) and suppress inflammation. Also, lactic acids present in apple cider vinegar can fade the appearance of acne scars.
- Applying face wash or lotion containing AHAs and BHAs causes mild exfoliation and exposes fresh skin underneath. Regular use of AHA and BHA on the face can reduce the appearance of scars and uneven pigmentation.
- Skin peels and serums containing vitamin C have a lightening effect on acne scars in about three weeks. These products are available over-the-counter (OTC) in pharmacies.
- Cocoa butter works as a great moisturizer. It has lightening properties, which help fade acne scars and lighten skin tone. Take some cocoa butter and apply it evenly on your face. Leave it on overnight and rinse it off the next morning.
- Rosewater helps soften scar tissue and lighten scars by regenerating skin cells. Use rose water daily for better results.
- Almond oil is rich in vitamin E and fatty acids. It moisturizes and heals scar tissue. Apply almond oil directly to scars.
- Cucumber is a wonderful natural ingredient to treat acne scars because it contains various vitamins and minerals like magnesium, which are beneficial to the skin. Cucumber reduces the appearance of scars and reduces inflammation. It heals and soothes the skin.
- Tea tree oil is antibacterial and fights acne breakouts, inflammation and scars. It also reduces redness.
- Apart from the above, coconut oil, vitamin E, shea butter, grape seed extract, ice packs and lemon juice may effectively lighten the acne scars on the face.
How do you get rid of severe acne scars?
The most effective treatments to get rid of severe acne scars include
- Chemical peels: This involves the use of strong chemicals (acids) to remove the outer layer of the skin and reduce the appearance of scars. Some salicylic acid, glycolic acid containing peels are available OTC.
- Botox injections: These are highly effective for acne scars with puckered skin around them. These puckered areas can be treated with botulinum toxin (Botox) injections to improve the appearance of skin.
- Dermabrasion: The procedure involves the removal of the top, damaged layer of skin with a rapidly rotating wire brush or wheel with a rough surface. The procedure deeply exfoliates the top layer of skin to reduce the appearance of deeper scars.
- Microneedling: This uses a small, handheld pen or needle-studded roller to puncture the skin on the surface of the scars. As the punctured skin heals, it makes collagen and reduces the visibility of acne scars by smoothing out the skin.
- Laser resurfacing: The procedure involves removing the top layer of skin to reveal younger underlying skin cells to reduce the appearance of scars. It creates a more even skin surface.
Speak with a dermatologist to determine the best treatment for your acne scars.