As you age, your skin becomes thinner and can begin to look tired. Environmental damage also can take the glow out of your complexion and leave you with dull skin. If you find yourself yearning for the dewiness of younger skin, there are ways to help restore the glow to your complexion.
Bad Habits Lead to Dull Skin
Your skin begins to age as early as your twenties. Skin starts to lose its elastic qualities and dead cells do not slough off as quickly, leaving you with dull, dry skin that has lost its glow. In addition to normal aging and your own genetics, factors that can cause your skin to appear dull include:
- Sun exposure. Over time, too much sun exposure can damage your skin, causing it to appear rough, leathery, and blotchy. Sun exposure is more likely to lead to dull skin if you have a fair complexion.
- Cigarette smoking. If you smoke cigarettes, the normal age-related changes in your skin happen even faster. People who smoke are more likely to develop a yellowish tint to their skin, and their skin often appears more leathery than that of nonsmokers.
- Low humidity. If you're exposed to low humidity year-round because of overheating in winter and air-conditioning in summer, your skin can be left feeling dry and itchy.
- Stress. Being under stress can cause your skin to become drier and dull looking.
- Product overuse. Using skin care products that dry your skin, which may include soaps, antiperspirants, and fragrances, can leave your skin looking lifeless.
How to Banish Dull Skin
There are many ways you can help achieve the appearance of younger skin, but the best way to avoid dullness is to prevent it. Follow these steps to prevent a drab complexion or regain your glow:
- Apply sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 15 or greater every day, even if it's not particularly sunny; another option is to use a daily moisturizer with SPF 15.
- Avoid sunbathing and using indoor tanning beds.
- Keep out of direct sunlight between 10am and 4pm, when the sun's rays are the most intense â€” wear a stylish, wide-brimmed hat if you're taking a walk during your lunch hour.
- If you smoke, stop; this can help improve your skin tone no matter how long you've been smoking.
- Use a humidifier in your home and drink water throughout the day to help keep your skin hydrated.
- Use mild facial cleansers instead of harsh soaps (or any soap you might use on the rest of your body) when you bathe.
- Switch from water-based makeup and powder formulas to creams, especially for foundation and blusher.
- Take lukewarm, rather than hot, baths and showers â€” and fewer of them â€” to avoid drying out your skin.
Techniques to Rejuvenate Your Complexion
You can take more serious action to help restore the glow of younger skin by:
- Chemical peel to remove the outer layer of dead skin cells, helping to restore the skin's glow and a more youthful appearanceDermabrasion, a procedure to remove layers of dead skin and stimulate the deeper layer of skin (dermis) to rejuvenate, which will diminish the appearance of fine wrinklesLaser resurfacing, a more aggressive procedure that uniformly removes a certain thickness of skin and exposes newer, fresher looking skin
If you're concerned about dull skin, consider all the options for helping restore your glow. Often, a few changes in your skin care routine can leave you with a fresher, younger-looking appearance.
5 Common Hygiene Myths You Shouldnâ€™t Believe
Do you need to shower every day? Wash your hands with scalding-hot water? Here's the dirt, according to health experts.
Which Collagen Sources Should You Try?
From powders and gummies to foods and topicals, hereâ€™s a list of collagen sources ranked from best to worst.
Potentially Toxic Chemicals Called PFAS Are Common in Cosmetics, Study Finds
Lab tests suggest that more than half of cosmetics sold in the United States and Canada may contain high levels of the chemical. U.S. legislators recently...
6 Places You're Missing When You Apply Sunscreen
No matter how thorough your SPF routine, these are the spots experts say are often overlooked.
Ask a Castle Connolly Top Doctor: How Aging and Gravity Affect Your Skin
A renowned plastic surgeon, recognized as a Castle Connolly Top Doctor, discusses the factors that affect our skinâ€™s appearance, and how patients can ...
California Bans 24 Toxic Chemicals From Personal-Care Products: What to Know
A bellwether state for federal efforts, California just became the first in the nation to ban certain chemicals from cosmetics and personal-care ingredients...
What Are the Benefits of Fish Oil for Your Hair?
Eating more whole fish with omega-3 fatty acids may help strengthen your tresses, but thereâ€™s limited evidence that fish oil pills will do the same.