“Camosun College Innovates Dept” – Camosun Innovates is the applied research arm of Camosun College. There, faculty and student researchers work with local industry clients to help them with their applied research, product design, prototyping and manufacturing challenges. Camosun Innovates researchers are currently designing, manufacturing and delivering COVID-19 compliant face shields in small batches to local Victoria BC organizations. Camosun is one of the top 50 applied research colleges in Canada. (Courtesy of Camosun College AV Services)
Camosun means “where different waters meet and are transformed” and was originally a Lkwungen name for an area of Victoria. Camosun College has two main campuses: Lansdowne campus close to downtown Victoria and the Interurban campus in rural Saanich, only 15 minutes from the city. Camosun offers 160 certificate, diploma, bachelor’s degree, post-degree and continuing education programs in areas such as arts and science, health and human services, business, trades, technology, Indigenous education, and sport and exercise education. The college is also Vancouver Island’s largest trades and apprenticeship training provider and its largest business administration school.
In 2020, Camosun and Atlantic Towing Limited announced the launch of a $700,000 marine simulator, which will widen the scope of marine courses at the school and allow mariners to complete high-level certificates. In 2019, the college opened its 90,000-sq.-foot Alex and Jo Campbell Centre for Health and Wellness at its Interurban campus. Designed for modern health-care and human services learning, the facility offers an applied, interdisciplinary approach.
More than five per cent of the school’s full-time students are Indigenous. This year, Eye Sq’lewen, the college’s Centre for Indigenous Education and Community Connections, celebrates 30 years of Indigenous education, programming and services.
- Adventure Education: This post-degree diploma for educators and development workers explores outdoor, experiential and adventure-based education.
- Interactive Media Developer: Students merge computer programming with their artistic visions to develop creative software projects, including games and mobile apps.
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography Diploma: Launched in May 2021, this two-year program trains students to become certified ultrasound technologists.
- University Transfer (Arts and Sciences)
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (in partnership with University of Victoria)
- Trades Apprenticeships
- Academic Upgrading and English Language Development
Read more on: guide