1. Green Tea
Known for being a potent source of antioxidants, green tea can also help with stress. Registered dietitian Marie Spano, RD, CSSD, recommends caffeine-free green tea rich in theanine, an amino acid known for having soothing effects.
Green Tea to Buy
- Bigelow Classic Green Tea ($27 per 40 bags, Amazon)
- Pantenger Organic Sencha Green Tea ($16 per 20 bags, Amazon)
2. Black Tea
There are many benefits of drinking black tea, and reducing your stress levels may be one of them.
Black Tea to Buy
- Twinings of London English Breakfast Black Tea ($9 per 100 bags, Amazon)
- Stash Tea Black Tea Variety Pack ($15 per 6-pack with 18 to 20 bags each, Amazon)
3. Ashwagandha Root Tea
Ashwagandha is a type of herb that belongs to the family of nightshades. It's been used for centuries in traditional Ayurvedic medicine. While it's often used to increase energy, one of the benefits of ashwagandha is stress relief.
"Ashwagandha root tea is a wonderful option for supporting stress reduction. Ashwagandha is one of many different types of adaptogens, a class of herbs shown to reduce the stress response in humans," says registered dietitian and clinical herbalist Jenna Volpe, RDN, LD.
It's worth noting that taking ashwagandha every day for a prolonged period of time is way more effective than sipping a cup of tea here and there when you're stressed. These studies suggest that taking ashwagandha daily might help curb stress in the first place.
Ashwagandha Tea to Buy
- Organic India Tulsi Ashwagandha Herbal Tea ($15 per 3-pack with 18 bags each, Amazon)
- Buddha Teas Organic Ashwagandha Root Tea ($9 per 18 bags, Amazon)
4. Lemon Balm Tea
Lemon balm tea has been touted as one of the best natural remedies for anxiety. It's a medicinal herb that may have anti-anxiety properties.
There's also preliminary research that supports lemon balm's ability to reduce symptoms of anxiety, such as nervousness, according to the Mayo Clinic. While it's generally well-tolerated, it can cause nausea and abdominal pain.
Lemon Balm Tea to Buy
- Traditional Medicinals Organic Lemon Balm Herbal Tea ($29 per 100 bags, Amazon)
- FGO Organic Lemon Balm Tea Bags ($19 per 100 bags, Amazon)
5. Chamomile Tea
You may have reached for a warm cup of chamomile tea before bed. It's known for benefits related to stress relief, tension headaches, relaxed muscles and sleep.
"Chamomile is a well-known soothing herb whose aromatic properties make it ideal for any time of day," Naeem says.
For those who need help calming down for bed, chamomile is like a mild tranquilizer, according to Cleveland Clinic. It reduces anxiety, encourages calmness and promotes drowsiness.
Chamomile Tea to Buy
- Bigelow Cozy Chamomile Herbal Tea ($13 per 100-count, Amazon)
- Traditional Medicinals Organic Chamomile Herbal Leaf Tea ($24 per 96-count, Amazon)
Read more on: livestrong